Foundation In den Vreemde was aimed at providing support for artists, intellectuals and students, who for reasons of race, religious beliefs or sexual orientation are not permitted free expression of their art or ideas.
In den Vreemde supports applicants:
– residing in or originating from crisis zones.
Crisis zones are defined as areas where government does not function and fails to protect its citizens sufficiently, or where government itself oppresses, persecutes or threatens its citizens (or their freedom).
– or countries with regimes that don’t safeguard human rights.
In den Vreemde supports persons and who are not protected and who are threatened and/or whose work is made difficult or impossible because of their art and/or expressed opinions.
The target group of In den Vreemde consists of applicants who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- persons who live and reside outside of the Netherlands, suffer physical or intellectual exile and require temporary financial and artistic support;
- persons who seek for temporary residence, on the invitation of In den Vreemde or a kindred organisation;
- persons who travelled or fled to the Netherlands at their own initiative and require temporary financial support here;
- refugees and asylum seekers with artistic or intellectual standing in their country of origin, who come to the Netherlands (whether temporarily or permanently) or who reside here in order to be able to practice their artistic and/or intellectual calling without censorship.
Note: persons who have committed war crimes or violated human rights are expressly excluded from In den Vreemde’s target group.